During the prime of the sugar cane cultivation in Brazil (sixteenth and seventeenth centuries), after the cane being squeezed and it's juice boiled and refined, the sugar blocks were placed in a conical clay form, for transportation to Europe, that was called sugar Loaf. The similarity of the carioca cliff with that form of clay originated the name.
The Sugar Loaf cable car was inaugurated on October 27, 1912, having been designed in 1908 by the Brazilian engineer Augusto Ferreira Ramos. First cable car installed in Brazil and third in the world, it is one of the most important icons of tourism in Rio, making it one of the main trademarks of the city of Rio de Janeiro.
The cable car runs along two routes, one connecting the base of hill of Babilônia to the peak of the hill of Urca and the other linking the hill of Urca to the Sugar Loaf.
The first line (starting station - Morro da Urca) has a length of 600 meters and the maximum speed for the trip is 6 meters per second (21.6 km/h). The second line (Morro da Urca - Sugarloaf) has a length of 850 meters and the maximum speed for the trip is 10 meters per second (36 km/h).
See more at: www.bondinho.com.br